“Shifting Mindsets for Entrepreneur Success”
A Diaspora Conference
September 7 – 9, Atlanta, Georgia
Day 2: Friday, September 8, 2023 | 8:00am – 1:00pm
Run of the Show: Rose Sibisi & Chanda Lupunga-Phillips
07:30 am – 08:45 am | Buffet Breakfast
08:30 am – 09:00 am | Session 1
- Mr. Orlando Maldonado – Senior Financial Advisor, Potomac Wealth Management
- His Excellency Chibamba Kanyama – Zambia’s Ambassador to the United States.
- Set the tone for the Day.
- Provide insights and inspiration from the Keynote Speaker.
09:00 am – 09:45 am | Session 2
Education is Power: This session brings educational experts and diaspora entrepreneurs to explore the role of Education and knowledge Systems and its Evolution. Panelists will share personal stories of leveraging educational opportunities for business ventures.
- Dr. Steady Moono – President, SUNY Schenectady County Community College
- Dr. Misheck Mwaba – President, Bow Valley College
Moderator – Dr. Henry Musoma
- Understand the role of education in fostering partnerships between the diaspora and Zambia.
- Highlight the importance of education as a foundation for entrepreneurial success.
- Identify educational initiatives and programs that support diaspora/home partnerships.
- Discuss challenges and opportunities related to accessing education and bridging the gap between education and entrepreneurship.
09:45 am – 10:30 am | Session 3
“Food is Power and I need a Ride”: Entrepreneurship in Zambia [A Fireside Chat]
This session will explore the existing opportunities for entrepreneurs and investors in Zambia’s agro and food processing sub-sector as well as in the Driver centric ride sharing and retail delivery Sectors. By discussing the status of ongoing and upcoming projects and partnerships, participants will hear first-hand from Zambian diaspora entrepreneurs on how they can be active participants in these sectors either as investors or as entrepreneurs .
- Explore existing opportunities for entrepreneurs and investors in Zambia’s agro and food processing and the Retail delivery and Ride Sharing sub-sectors.
- Learn about ongoing and upcoming projects and partnerships in the two sectors.
- Hear first-hand experiences from Zambian and diaspora entrepreneurs in the field.
- Encourage active participation in the sector as investors or entrepreneurs.
- Identify challenges and strategies to overcome them in agro and food processing.
10:30 am – 10:50 am | Break
10:50 am – 11:35 am | Session 4
Absa Zambia PLC: Opportunities for Diaspora Investments in Zambia’s Banking and Financial Services Sector: This session brings together banking and finance experts from Zambia to explore the opportunities and challenges in establishing partnerships between the diaspora and Zambia in the areas of banking and financial services
- Ms. Venus Hampinda – Finance Director/Regional Head Strategic Tax Solutions
- Mrs. Naomi Mwenya – Head, Branch Sales and Distribution-Retail
Moderator – Ms. Mary Mbiya – Director of DEI at American Axle & Manufacturing
- Discuss potential benefits of collaborations and investment opportunities.
- Address specific challenges and considerations in cross-border banking transactions.
- Gain insight into innovative financial instruments and regulatory frameworks.
- Appreciate successful case studies of diaspora-led projects in Zambia.
- Inspire participants to explore opportunities and develop investment strategies in Zambia.
11:45 am – 12:45 pm | Session 5
Entrepreneurial Approaches to Creating Generational Wealth for Diaspora: This session brings together successful Wealth Management experts and business leaders who will share their experiences and insights. The session will cover topics such as access to capital markets, wealth management, entry barriers to accessing investors, cultural differences, and networking opportunities. Participants will gain valuable knowledge and actionable strategies to navigate the wealth management landscape, minimize tax liability, create long lasting wealth, succession planning, and instruments like will, trusts, irrevocable trusts,
- Mr. Ceaser Siwale, Chief Executive, Pangaea Securities
- Mr. Orlando Maldonado, Senior Financial Advisor, Potomac Wealth Management
Moderator – Madame Cecilia Milambo, Entrepreneur & Spouse, Permanent Representative to the United Nations
- Learn from successful diaspora and Zambian wealth management experts and business leaders.
- Discuss access to capital, markets, wealth management, and cultural differences.
- Explore entry barriers to accessing investors and networking opportunities.
- Gain valuable knowledge and actionable strategies for wealth management.
- Understand instruments like wills, trusts, and irrevocable trusts for creating generational wealth.
12:45 pm – 01:00 pm | Session 6
Wrap up and Thank you
- Rose Sibisi & Dr. Freda Mwamba Brazle
- Take Stock of key action points/ takeaways from the event.
- Inspire and Motivate participants for Action